Friday, February 3, 2012

The coffee lady

I ride the train to work everyday. And a good number of those days I stop at a kiosk in the station to get some coffee. And it's always the same lady that sells it to me. And I cannot get her to smile at me. Or exchange any pleasantries for that matter.

I really don't expect much, but for someone I interact with almost everyday, would a smile be so bad? I stand there grinning at her full on....and nothin. And you can't miss my smile. I have a huge mouth.

I know she's capable of it. I've heard her have whole conversations with other customers. But with me? Nada.

Part of me says to leave the poor woman alone. Maybe she's just extra grumpy in the mornings. Maybe she's shy and takes a while to warm up to someone. But I'm not buying it. I can be those things, too.

Not one to be defeated, I tried again this morning. "Good morning!" [beaming at her]...nothing. "Thank you! Have a good weekend!"

"Bye."

I got a response! True, she didn't make eye contact with me, and "bye" (I didn't even get the "good" with it) isn't much, but it was something! I'm not giving up on that coffee lady yet.


a begrudgingly bestowed coffee

In other news - I created this entry in the Blogger app for iPhone. Could this be the answer to my time management problems?

No comments: